Sunday, February 1, 2009

Shiver

It's been a while since my last post. Happy February 1!
It is absolutely insane how fast January went - and it's crazy that we are in the 5th week of the quarter - MIDPOINT.

It's always good to self examine in the middle of things so that's what I have been doing this weekend. My parents came up yesterday to spend the day with me - I had been anxiously waiting for their visit ever since they told me - for a week and a half. My parents visiting me is a big deal. Not only do I absolutely love spending time with them - It means so much more that they take the effort to drive up early and leave late. It's nice to relax with them away from our usual home atmosphere. Yesterday was especially nice. We went to North Market (Columbus' indoor Findlay market) and we ate Sarefino's calzones. My dad was like a little boy in a candy shop when he realized they sold Cream Soda - he kept calling it Cream Cheese. My mom, being the resourceful considerate woman that she is, snuck off while we ordered and bought us a chocolate croissant for dessert - it was a very nice gesture. Splitting the croissant got all three of us reminiscing about our past European travels...
We walked around the market enmeshed with cheerleaders, Christian youth group members and Anime die-hards (all three had conventions going on). We stopped by Jenni's icecream for another treat where I got black coffee and Belgian Milk Chocolate and my parents split some other ingenuous flavors (Mom didn't care for black coffee but Dad and I loved it). I love walking around with Mom when there is so much to see - she is a great companion for discovering new things - if ever I go an another adventure, I'm bringing her. She and I took a picture next to a beautiful array of flower displays and my Dad and I took a picture in front of some vegetables with me 'biting' into an apple he was holding. What a trip. We ended up coming back to my place and saw 'Spanglish' (my Dad's pick, might I add). I dozed off while laying in between the two people who I feel safest with.

We had reservations at this eclectic German Village restaurant called Barcelona. We split a nice bottle of Rioja and enjoyed some delicious tapas. And then commenced our deep talk of the night - I knew it was going to happen, it was just a matter of when and where. I enjoy a relationship with my parents that is based on open communication and deep respect for all parties involved. It isn't rare for my dad and I to spark up a conversation on the deep questions of life, theories and life experiences. I let them know that I have been exploring options for study abroad next winter quarter (from January to May) to Florence, Italy. My mom shared that she had found my blog and read it. I had a nervous feeling at first but then realized that I only wrote how I felt and I would not take any of it back. My mom admitted that she was saddened at parts - understandably. I welcome both of them to read what I have to say, they surely will get new insight.

I do have to say one thing: although my friends ARE my family, the member of my family ARE my friends. I am blessed to have the support I have from my parents, my sisters and my girlfriends. My family is a big one - I love everyone in it. In fact, I would not be where I am right now in my life without my Mom and Dad's steady guidance and support, Anne's constant friendship, Sofia's wise beyond her years advice, Jessi's compassion, Sadie's laughter, Andrea's tough love, Emily's quiet rebelliousness, Kelsey's goodness, Katie's realistic outlook and all of their love. Each one of you adds to who I am. I am lucky. If so many people believe in me, there is no way I am letting them down. And so, I have found a renewed sense of purpose. I am capable and meant for great things. I look forward to growing and experiencing with my family - I have so much more to live.

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful words...Nat you have such a wisdom and way of seeing life and those around you that I have always admired so much. Not only could nothing you do ever let me down, but you have supported me and lifted me up in more ways than you could ever know. Live that life, woman! Get it girrrl. :)

    PS - I just thought you should know that you totally had me all teared up while I was reading this...Not only that, but my Ecua-mom walked in during said tearing up. As if she doesn't already think I'm crazy enough...

    ReplyDelete